If you live in Cogges or Newland (including Oxford Hill and all the roads off Newland down to the roundabouts) then you are part of the Cogges & Newland Community. Our aim is to be an active neighbourhood:
- putting people in touch with one another,
- campaigning for improvements in our area,
- organising events like litter picks, community gardening, socials and so on,
- planning for winter so everyone can get out and about in case of snow,
- organising emergency plans in case of flood,
- liaising with police and councils,
- involving all residents including younger people and older people in particular,
- lobbying and representing local views,
- working with Blakes School, Cogges Farm, St Mary’s Cogges and the like.
After two open meetings organised and publicised by Cllr Enright, we have elected a committee who will be coordinating events. We plan a more formal launch and new elections for a committee in early 2014. We will have a website and email, starting with this one, and we will use tools like http://www.streetbank.com to share in our community.
This all sounds a bit formal, so we always remind ourselves that it isn’t about meetings: we will do at least twice as many activities as we do meetings. And the bottom line is that we get to know, value and look after each other, and make Cogges and Newland a better place to live and thrive.
Get in touch! And get involved. See you soon!